Friday, April 17, 2009

In Which I Would Happily Eat Mary's Little Lamb

At this exact moment, every third grader at Ba Zhou Petroleum No. 1 Middle School is in possession of a recorder. The children call them their "flutes," which is charming, but a recorder by any other name...

And in the past two weeks, I would estimate that I have been regaled with Mary Had a Little Lamb no less than 19,283,107 times. The children rush at me, thrusting their "flutes" forward with a proud, "Teacher! Teacher!"

What I think: "Noooooo..."

What I say: "Hooray! Play a song for me!"

This is when Mary's little lamb, from the sound of things, begins staggering around the barnyard, its fleece matted with mud and straw, suffering mightily with a raging case of coccidiosis. The happy news is that, with a final squawking, triumphant note, the lamb survives. Barely.

The children are so happy and proud when they finish that it's all I can do not to bawl with delight -- Joy of accomplishment! Joy of music! -- and relief. Instead, I mentally compose a correspondence:

Dear My Sister,

As I recall, I laughed unsympathetically every time your kids brought home a recorder. Wow, am I sorry.

Your loving sister,
In sackcloth,

Rachel

Now, I'm left to dread the arrival of hot cross buns.

2 comments:

  1. hi rach! so obviously, didn't make it out to china for spring break, but it is still def. on my list of must do's! so have to share, i called my mom last night and read her this post and a couple of others from your blog, we both could not stop laughing. she kept saying to me, she is such a cute girl and so talented! i think you have a new reader :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dear Rachie. I hope you are doing well. I love this latest post! I passed it along to my future sis-in-law, who adopted a little girl from China last year and is also a school teacher. She loved it!

    I heart a recorder! It brings back such fond memories of fourth grade - where in UT you study Utah history. We also had the choice of learning to play a recorder or a ukulele. I picked the recorder.

    We all learned "We Are Marching to Brontosaurus Land" .. which was set to a jaunty little tune that began with "I'm with you and you're with me and so we will sing together .."

    I remember a parent day was held and we had a concert. Such fun, innocent times. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete